Tuesday 30 November 2010

A Special Post To A Fellow Blogger

.
Dear Amanda

Because I do love your blog and I always value the comments you leave on mine and because I am oh so grateful for the Tuesday Tipples and because I like you and suspect that we could be very good friends, I feel obliged to notify you of something terrible that is about to happen. Not on the scale of recent events there but worthy of advance warning…..

First though I need to go back a few years when I was away from the office for a few weeks and came back to find a new member of staff – Billi.

In a group of really talented, lovely, funny, beautiful people she has always stuck out as, well.......not !

She is a short, squat, scruffy, loud woman. It doesn’t help that she uses her very strong Liverpool accent almost as a form of aggression ! On most days she’ll come into work late, always looking slightly grubby with tatty combat trousers and shapeless tops, no make up and her lank, greasy hair scraped back off her face with an elastic band. Fortunately, she is kept hidden away deep in the main office far away from clients but …… on the odd occasion that she has come to a big event, she undergoes a magical transformation and she looks, well, there’s no other way of describing it but, quite beautiful. And when she got married, a year ago, I couldn’t believe the photos were of her as she looked so elegant.

But the thing is, she is quite vile. She shouts all the time, she always feels hard done by and so is permanently angry, she has the most dreadful phone manner, she swears using words that make me cringe, she can’t ever accept that she may be in the wrong and she has several huge chips on her shoulder.

She was brought in by one of the senior partners and the rumour is that they “knew” each other rather well though I can’t imagine how that could have come about.

Most people in the office have had a run-in with her, including me, just a few months after she arrived, when she got upset with me for not inviting her to a particular meeting. I told her it was because it didn’t involve her and she went off on one saying that she was fed up with the way I treated her, like she was dirt on my shoe and that actually I wasn’t all that and that I should take a long look in the mirror some time as even though I may think I’m young, I’m actually nothing but an old goat !! I told her to watch her tone and she challenged me to do my worst and see if she cares.

I stormed into Ken’s office and demanded that he do something about it and he said I should calm down and learn to cope with a “naturally fiery spirit” !!! That’s when I realised she must have something very big on him to let her get away with the constant episodes. Since then, I have rarely engaged with her and she has never made any attempt to apologise to me or anyone else.

Anyway, yesterday, she walked into the office and shouted “OK yous lot, listen up, ay’ve got summat to say! (I appreciate this is a very poor attempt to mimic her in writing but you need to know I do it brilliantly in real life). Ay’m leavin this doomp. Me husband’s gorra job in New Zealand so ay’m going withim and yous lot can all foock right off. Ay’ve hated every one of ya and you’ve mayde my life hell, so good riddance to the lotta yer an I ‘ope this coompany goes down, takin the lot of ya with it. See ya – wouldn’t wanna be ya”

Seriously, she really did say all that and she turned on her heel and walked back out again. There was a couple of seconds of silent shock and then everyone started cheering and laughing. Even Ken came out of his office smiling. However, I suddenly realised that our great joy means impeding doom for you, dear Amanda.

She’s coming to Christchurch !!

10 comments:

  1. They sell arsenic in New Zealand, right...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you captured her last rant-I could hear the voice!

    I have some friends in Christchurch myself, I'll have to let them know she's coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MegaChow.com For home cooks hungry for easy family meals: Find thousands of tested recipes, menus,cooking shortcuts, dinner ideas, chef tips, and more at Delish.

    megachow.com, recipes, party food, cooking, dinner ideas, grocery coupons, menus, food blogs, holiday recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that many of the original settlers in New Zealand were from Liverpool.

    P.S. Megachow get the f**k out of here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All one could say to foulmouthed Billi is: "Have a nice life, dear." Your rant was wonderful and I translated the sound in my mind to the broadest scouse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, I'd say "Bring it on" but am going to abtten my hatches, board up the windows, get in a supply of arsenic and....wait! Hopefully our paths won't cross but I guess to be forewarned is to be forearmed, thank you from the heart of my bottom!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - just wow. See ya, wouldn't want to be ya? What is she? 12?

    This post is great, Selina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LMAO!! OMG!!! I actually heard her rant the way you wrote it!! I'm cracking up over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor old New Zealand is all I can add

    xx

    ReplyDelete